-Sydney Eddison, Horticulture magazine, August/September 1993
It's hard to find anything that puts me more at ease than a peaceful moment in my own garden space, a space that is truly an echo of my childhood and the anticipation of good things to come. My 'garden' is modest but from the planter boxes and pots of dirt tenacious memories are reborn, memories of plucking warm succulent tomatoes, raspberries, crunchy beans and of breathing the heady bouquet of lilacs, apple blossoms and then peonies.
Of the tomato plants Finlay and I planted this year, some stand tall and proud, reaching for the sun while others crouch closer to the familiar soil of their roots. Despite their differences, all the plants are heavy with the promise of fruit and remind me that whether I'm feeling brave or a little more apprehensive, life goes on and wonderful things abound when I trust and surround myself with lovely and supportive family, friends and the vibrant community we call home.
I am past, present and future when I sit in my garden and that makes me feel full and alive.

Beautiful.
ReplyDelete