Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What the Heck Wednesday

I'm starting a new tradition I'd like to call 'What the Heck Wednesday' where we throw caution to the wind and try something new.

Today I learned of the book by Kathleen DesMaisons called Potatoes Not Prozac:  A Natural Seven-Step Plan To Control Your Cravings and Lose Weight - Recognize How Foods Affect the Way You Feel - Stabilize the Level of Sugar in Your Blood.  I haven't read it yet but it has certainly piqued by interest.

In it, she recommends among other things to eat three regular meals a day, increase protein intake and eat a potato before bed as means of overcoming sugar dependency.   


"The potato creates an insulin response that effects the movement of the amino acid tryptophan from your blood into your brain. Your body uses tryptophan to make serotonin, the brain chemical that makes you feel mellow and happy. Serotonin also helps you to “just say no” to sweets and other things by putting the brakes on your impulsivity."

I've also read that the increase in serotonin can  be so great, especially if you've been lacking, that it can bring upon very vivid dreams.

So I thought, what the heck.  Guess what I had for my bedtime snack?  The most delicious bowl of steamed fingerling potatoes buttered and salted to perfection.  It was heavenly and dare I say just as satisfying as any sweet treat before bed.  Let's see if helps my mood and cravings.  It's worth a try!

Not my potatoes but undeniably mouth watering none the less.
Learn more here at radiantrecovery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment